Friday, November 13, 2020

New deal: Notes


x1.
Psalm 69:25-28 (Brenton translation of the Septuagint)
25 Let their habitation be made desolate; and let there be no inhabitant in their tents:
26 Because they persecuted him whom thou hast smitten; and they have added to the grief of my wounds.
27 Add iniquity to their iniquity; and let them not come into thy righteousness.
28 Let them be blotted out of the book of the living, and let them not be written with the righteous.
Though the psalm, as we have it today, does not specify that another should take the position of him (or them) who had been defeated, it certainly implies that that is what the psalmist wants.
h1.
Received text of Joel 2:28-32
28 And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:
29 And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit.
30 And I will show wonders in the heavens and in the earth, blood, and fire, and pillars of smoke.
31 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and terrible day of the Lord come.
32 And it will come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of Jehovah [= the LORD] shall be delivered: for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the Lord hath said, and in the remnant whom the Lord shall call.
Peter probably said Lord (or the Aramaic equivalent) rather than Jehovah (=Yahweh)). But, as Jesus (=Joshua =Yeshua =Yeheshua) means Jehovah saves, if you call on the name of Jesus the son, then you call on the name of the Lord, Jehovah. In the New Dispensation that began at Pentecost, the name Jesus suffices.
m1.  Psalm 110:1
h2.
Psalm 16:8-11 Brenton Septuagint Translation
8 I foresaw the Lord always before my face; for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved.
9 Therefore my heart rejoiced an my tongue exulted; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope:
10 because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
11 Thou hast made known to me the ways of life; thou wilt fill me with joy with thy countenance: at thy right hand there are delights for ever.

k1. Valley of Death or Place of Shadows or Valley of the Shadows of Death. Other names: Gehenna, Sheol, Hades.
k2. Isaiah 66:8.
Author's note for his future reference:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Crucifixion: Notes

1. Information on Cyrene comes from a Wikipedia article: https://archive.vn/9X8FR h1. Some think that Mark liked to use Aramaic here...